Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I am *quite* open to falling from grace, thanks.

I refuse to write about the obvious.
... [Yeah, I know: "Huh?" Oh well.]

I do, however, want to word vomit on a subject that is less than apparent... if only in my delusional naivety. I won't go so far as to think that I'm as easy to read as the Harry Potter books I'm going through (... again...), but I need a poker face.
Correction: I need sunglasses, a mask, a bandana, a sweet hat, and a few miscellaneous wigs.

There are two extremes of people, with a lot of gray in between: The first, who reveal nothing until threatened with interrogation and/or Chinese Water Torture, and even then, their facial expression doesn't go too far beyond a mild, inconvenienced grimace. On the other hand, you have the second - the "heart-on-sleeve-you'll-never-need-to-wonder-how-I-feel-because-I'm-going-to-tell-you-like-it-or-not". The trailing-puppy of people, they are not only completely aware of their emotions, but everyone else is, also.

... which leads us to the gray - or, it would, if I didn't see myself in a Billy Idol color setting. On one hand, my use of sarcasm, dorky humor, and endless supply of Bach jokes covers up uncertainty. With still or partial unknowns, the rule is that I try to keep the conversation going, and you laughing. Doesn't always work, but ultimately, with people I get friendlier with, this leads to more serious talk... or, at least, attempts at it. On the other hand, my good friends can tell you that they get calls twice a month or so starting with this line:
"________, can I run a hypothetical by you?"

... by now they've all come to the conclusion that my "hypothetical" will segue-way, seamlessly, into a confession that it's not hypothetical at all, but a reality - mine, ta da! - and that, once again, they're going to know a lot more about certain situations than they would under normal - or desired - conditions.
... I'm very lucky to have my friends - even though I'm sure, at points, they get exasperated with my attempts to make life "interesting" with my varying situations, or me trying to balance my emotions and my feeble attempts at covering them up.

You could argue that a poker face is all well and good - in certain situations - but that people who never give a clue as to how they feel, or function, will inevitably distance themselves or put others at a loss. You could also argue that emotions are healthy, that its beautiful to behold someone who isn't afraid to let others see what they feel, or believe.

.... my problem, at the moment, is that I have two conflicting emotional forces... and, to show them both, would be a contortionists' challenge and quite the grotesque facial expression. To hide either one would be wrong - to certain degrees. The first, as more people scope out facebook, is going to be apparent no matter how well I arrange my quizzical eyebrows. The second is healthy to realize but possibly harmful if entirely shown daylight, and while wreaking havoc always makes things more exciting, I've done enough damage for a bit. I don't have the skill - or the desire - to completely cover it up or squash it, but neither do I have the desire to run with it until I know if my hypothetical is a good thing or a foolish one.

Lady Gaga made this whole "poker face" thing seem much simpler.

No comments: